Welcome to Driftwood
A small, rural town dotted with pastoral ranches, wineries, and wedding venues in the Hill Country crossroads.
Home of renowned BBQ restaurant The Salt Lick, multiple wedding venues, wineries, gorgeous ranches, and event venues, Driftwood is a picturesque small town that’s often overlooked in favor of its neighbor, Dripping Springs. Founded as a supply center for ranches and farms in the 1880s, Driftwood began to develop rapidly in the early 1900s.
Having established churches, a post office, a cotton gin, and a school, Driftwood was a quiet but prosperous town through the 1970s, when the population began to dwindle. However, Driftwood has seen something of a revival since then — new neighborhoods and development has been springing up since 2012. It's never been a big city, but Driftwood attracts residents who appreciate the small-town feel and rural nature of this cozy, calm community in the Hill Country crossroads.
What to Love
- Small-town charm
- Small, peaceful community
- Wedding venues
- Beautiful backroad drive
People & Lifestyle
Prospective homebuyers interested in Driftwood real estate will find that the majority of homes were built after 2000. There are historic homes available, but they are few and far between thanks to the modern developments of the last few decades.
Most homes are newer construction and come in a variety of sizes, ranging from one to ten bedrooms. Some estates sprawl over as many as 100 acres. Since Driftwood has so much open space, the delineations between neighborhoods are distinct, and beautiful neighborhoods can be found in places like La Ventana, Creek of Driftwood, and Rim Rock.
Dining, Entertainment & Shopping
- Perhaps Driftwood's most famous institution, The Salt Lick is a renowned barbecue restaurant chain that originally opened in 1967. Best known for its brisket, sausage, and pork ribs, the restaurant also serves prime rib, pulled pork, chicken, and turkey. The Salt Lick was previously featured on television shows like Man v. Food and Adam Richman's Best Sandwich in America. Food Network chefs Duff Goldman and Bobby Flay have also praised this beloved BBQ establishment.
- Located on The Mandola Estate & Vineyard, Trattoria Lisina is a stunning and stately family-owned Italian restaurant that will make you feel like you're dining in the Tuscan countryside.
- Founded as a gas station and convenience store in the '80s, Hays City Store has since evolved into a full-service restaurant and bar featuring scratch-made Texas comfort food, local beers, and handcrafted cocktails.
Wineries, breweries and distilleries:
- Duchman Family Winery was founded by Drs. Lisa and Stan Duchman in 2004 and is one of the top wine destinations in Texas. HGTV even named Duchman Family Winery one of the country's most picturesque wineries.
- An Eden West food truck, curated goods, and a desert-modern tasting room make Desert Door Distillery a delightful place to visit. Featuring live music, an outdoor patio, games, and a cozy fireplace, it's the perfect gathering spot.
- Located on 21 acres of beautiful Texas Hill Country, Vista Brewing’s modern farmhouse brewery includes a tasting room, restaurant, outdoor beer garden, and farm complete with picturesque walking trails. Load up the whole family (even the dog!) to spend a day at this destination brewery nestled in the Texas countryside.
- Other notable places to visit in Driftwood include Salt Lick Cellars, Wimberley Valley Winery, and Driftwood Estate Winery
Things to Do
Since Driftwood is a primarily rural and residential area, there isn't a lot to do in the way of commerce and nightlife. However, local wineries and breweries regularly host live music performances. With plenty of backroads that meander through the beautiful Hill Country creeks, ranches, and elegant old oaks, Driftwood is an ideal place for a scenic drive.
There are several stunning wedding venues in Driftwood, such as Greenhouse
, Stonehouse Villa
, Thurman's Mansion
, Vintage Oaks Farm
, Wildflower Barn
, Chapel Dulcinea
, and Creekside Pavilion
. Driftwood is also home to several horseback riding locations and equestrian service centers like Graymar Farm
and Austin Equine Associates